The University encourages dissemination of the expertise and creativity of its employees. The University also has a statutory responsibility to establish policies that balance this dissemination with the other important roles of the University and to prevent abuses of the University’s resources. Further, the State of Illinois Faculty Research and Consulting Act (110 ILCS 100) prohibits full-time members of faculty to undertake, contract for, or accept anything of value in return for research or consulting services for any person other than that institution on whose faculty they serve without prior approval from the President of the University, or designee. The Act requires an annual report of outside employment.
Definition of Outside Employment: Additional employment for which compensation is paid by an external source while the employee is also under full-time contract with the University. This employment can be of any sort, including teaching, consulting, direct delivery of professional services, and advisory services.
Illinois State University Policy 3.3.7, Secondary/Outside Employment, requires that all tenured/tenure-track faculty, faculty associates, department chairs, school directors, and AP staff seek prior approval of outside employment and also that they report, on an annual basis, the outside employment they completed during the previous fiscal year.
At Illinois State University, approval authority for outside employment is delegated to the Provost.
II. FormsA. Request for Approval of Outside Employment: PERS 927
A. Obtaining Approval of Outside Employment
1. Initiating a request for approval. Download and complete form PERS 927. Note that outside employment is approved on an annual (fiscal year) basis. Please provide specific dates during the relevant fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) for the outside employment. If your outside employment opportunity extends beyond one fiscal year, you will need to update approval each year (see III.A.6 below).
Faculty should submit the completed form to their department chair/school director; Chairs and directors should submit completed forms for their own outside employment to their dean; all other employees should submit completed forms to their direct supervisor.
Please submit your form at least two weeks prior to the start of the outside employment, to assure timely Provost approval.
2. Chair, director, or supervisor approval. The chair, director, or supervisor should review the form, and will ordinarily approve the request. If there are any questions, including any possible conflicts of interest or commitment, they should be discussed informally with the faculty member or other employee to ensure protection of the University and the employee.
The chair, director, or supervisor will then forward the approved form to the dean or other second-level supervisor.
Chairs, directors, and supervisors are asked to forward approved forms at least one week prior to the start of the outside employment, to assure timely Provost approval.
3. Dean or second-level supervisor approval. Review and approve for forwarding to the Office of the Provost.
Deans and other second-level supervisors are asked to forward approved forms at least three days prior to the start of the outside employment, to assure timely Provost approval.
4. Final approval. The Provost or designee will review and approve the request, assuming any potential conflicts are managed and no other concerns are raised.
If potential conflicts remain unmanaged, or other concerns about the proposed outside employment are not addressed, an attempt will be made to resolve these issues so approval can be granted. The Provost may refuse approval for outside employment if such issues cannot be resolved.
5. Notification of approval. The original form with signatures will be retained in the Office of the Provost. Copies of signed/approved forms will be distributed to the faculty member/employee; chair, director, or other supervisor; and to the dean/other second-level supervisor.
6. Outside employment extending beyond one fiscal year. If your outside employment will continue past June 30 and into the next fiscal year, please submit an updated PERS 927 form prior to June 15 to allow for timely processing. Renewals provide faculty and staff the opportunity to verify any changes in the circumstances of the outside employment and confirm or update their conflict management plans, as needed.
B. Annual Report of Outside Employment
1. When your outside employment is complete (or at the end of the fiscal year, if it is continuing), download and complete form PERS 928 and submit to your department chair, school director, or supervisor.
In any case, annual reports for the previous year (July 1 through June 30) using PERS 928 are due to department chair, school director, or supervisor by August 31 at the latest annually.
2. Department chair, school director, or supervisor will review and sign the PERS 928 and forward to the dean or second-level supervisor by September 15.
3. The dean or second-level supervisor will review, sign, and forward to the Office of the Provost will file the completed PERS 928.